Jay Smith, M.D.
Physician - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Sports Medicine
- Rochester, MN
Background and expertise
- Professor and Vice Chair, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Director of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound and Regenerative Sports Medicine, Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center
- Director of Regenerative Medicine, Mayo Clinic Rehabilitation Medicine Research Center
- Pioneer in diagnostic and interventional musculoskeletal ultrasound, including ultrasound guided techniques to treat chronic tendon and joint disorders (e.g. needle tenotomy, TX1/TX2 treatments), and ultrasound guided carpal tunnel release.
- Former Winter Olympics Team Physician
- Expert in shoulder, elbow, and knee injuries and biomechanics
- Research interests include diagnostic and interventional musculoskeletal ultrasound, regenerative medicine (platelet rich plasma and stem cells), and gene therapy for knee arthritis.